You Better Get Rid Of These 6 Items If You Have A Dog!

0
7875

You Better Get Rid Of These 6 Items If You Have A Dog!

©kongcompany

If you have a dog, you know the struggle of keeping it away from your work valuable items such as electronics, clothes, shoes, plants, books, or homework!

All of these are items you want to protect from your dog’s teeth but do you know of the items that you should always keep away from your dog to protect it from them?

Common household items such as detergents, bleach, bug spray, and some ornamental plants that you may be planning to decorate your home and garden with, can actually cause your dog a number of health complications: excessive drooling, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, anemia, and even death.

#1 – Potpourri

Potpourri, the beautiful dried flowers that make your whole house smell heavenly, are actually not that heavenly for your dog, and that is an understatement!

The melange of essential oils and fragrance-boosting chemicals in Potpourri can be toxic to your dog if ingested, causing nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, burning nose, lips, and tongue, and loss of appetite.

We all know how dogs can get with random non-nutritive items; they may sniff, bite, or ingest these items so why should potpourri be an exception?!

You may have to keep all types of potpourri — liquid potpourri, hydrated potpourri, potpourri sachets or potpourri spray — out of your dog’s reach for the sake of its own safety.

#2 – Mothballs

This is another common household item that is toxic to your dog. Mothballs, often used to protect stored clothes from mold or moth larva, are small balls made of chemical pesticides and deodorant which can be poisonous to pets.

If your dog ingests mothballs or is exposed to their fumes for a long time, vomiting, lethargy, anemia and kidney and liver damage are a given.

You should never keep mothballs within your pets or children’s reach. Or you know what, you may as well get rid of the mothballs for your own peace of mind!

#3 – Detergents


We’re not telling you to never use detergents again and start cleaning your house with dog shampoo instead!

You must ensure that your dog won’t have access to detergents, bleach, soaps, and other cleaning products because most of them contain ionic and anionic surfactants that are toxic to pets.

Such substances can cause skin irritation, respiratory problems, excessive drooling, nausea, vomiting, and even abdominal pain.

You never know how determined your dog is to fetch for such toxic items and hurt itself. Make sure to hide them, especially detergent pods which sort of look like dog toys. Heck, you may even make a secret compartment in your wall or ceiling to store them if you must!

#4 – Pest-control products

Pesticides and insecticides may rid you of pests that haunt your home garden but they can seriously harm your pet, too.

Using pest control spray in your home, whether in big or small amounts, may cause seizures and respiratory problems to your dog when inhaled.

Also, you can’t predict when your dog may approach treated plants and ingest them, and to say that it’s safer to use natural methods would be a lie because even natural or homemade pesticides like garlic, spices, and other ingredients can harm your pet if ingested.

Just make sure that your dog is not around when you use bug spray!

#5 – Sago palm

This ornamental plant is harmful to your pet because it contains cycasin, a toxic substance that causes liver failure in dogs that ingest the plant.

Within around 15 minutes from ingesting sago palm leaves, your dog will experience nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling.

In some severe cases, sago palm ingestion can cause your dog hemorrhage and death.

#6 – Daffodil bulbs

As gorgeous as they might make your garden look, if you care about your dog do not grow daffodils!

Unfortunately, daffodil bulbs contain high amounts of toxins and have been shown to cause severe irritation, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, and even cardiac arrhythmias.

Who needs daffodils when you can plant dog-friendly plants like orchids, roses, Jasmine, and sunflowers which are all non-toxic and perfectly safe for pets and humans alike!

Your dog’s health should always come first, before any ornamental plants, products, or valuable items. If you suspect that your dog has ingested some toxic substances, you should contact the vet immediately.

SHARE

LEAVE A REPLY