What If Your Dog Eats Something It Should Not

0
7

Last Updated on January 8, 2021

If you are a dog owner, you are not surprised that dogs love food more than anything in the world. They are also very curious creatures, so it comes as no surprise that every once in a while, they might try to ingest something they shouldn’t. While some foreign objects might be harmless to your dog’s health, others might demand a visit to the emergency animal clinic. So, what course should you take if your dog ingests something other than dog food? Take them to the emergency clinic or wait to see if they expel it? Keep reading to find out.

1. Signs your dog ate something it shouldn’t

See if your dog is experiencing any of the symptoms listed below. If they are, chances are they might have ingested something toxic or foreign. Abdominal pain Loss of appetite Lethargy Nausea and vomiting Gagging Bowel changes (constipation, diarrhea) Behavioral changes If your dog is displaying any of the symptoms mentioned in this list, pay a visit to the vet as soon as possible. A professional will have all the right tools and knowledge to assess the situation properly, so the responsible thing to do is seek emergency care. Don’t try to force your puppy to vomit, and don’t just sit around waiting for them to pass the object on their own. Seek help.

2. What are the treatment options?

If there is any suspicion that your puppy might have ingested a foreign object, the veterinarian will order an X-ray examination. It’s the best way for them to determine a suitable method of treatment. Depending on the object ingested and the gravity of the situation, the vet might be able to induce vomit to help your dog pass the object. In more difficult situations, the only way to remove the object efficiently is through endoscopy. A long tube will be placed down your puppy’s throat to help remove the object from their stomach. This might sound scary, but it’s a non-invasive procedure that carries little to no risk. The only thing your dog will have to recover from is the anesthesia. However, things might be complicated if the object has reached the intestines. In this case, the treatment required might be invasive surgery. Intestinal obstruction carries additional risks. The vet might have to remove part of the intestines to remove the object, which can cause further complications.

3. What can you do to keep your dog from ingesting foreign objects?

It’s always better to be safe than sorry, so the best way to avoid all the fuss caused by your puppy ingesting a foreign object is to keep it from happening. If you know your dog is the curious type, keep all the small objects in your home in a place where they can’t reach them. Another measure you can take is to avoid giving your dog objects they might chew on, like stuffed animals. According to the experts, you should do everything in your power to “dog-proof” your house. Lock the cabinets, close the doors, do everything you can to keep them from assessing dangerous objects they might ingest. It might seem expensive at first, but it’s far more costly to pay for emergency surgery.

SHARE

LEAVE A REPLY